If you’ve heard about WordPress hosting and wondered which web host you should choose, chances are the name Kinsta has come up.
This is because Kinsta is a popular and well-known web host that offers many benefits to its users.
What, exactly, is Kinsta?
Kinsta is a managed WordPress hosting provider that controls all the aspects of your website so you don’t have to. Kinsta’s been around since 2013 and has become one of the most popular web hosting providers.
With that in mind let’s look at everything you need to know about Kinsta and why this web host is one of the best to consider for your WordPress site specifically. We’ll review Kinsta according to several factors.
- 1 Review Of Kinsta’s Most Important Features
- 2 What About The Cons?
- 3 Is Kinsta Right For You?
- 4 Related Questions
- 5 Conclusion
Review Of Kinsta’s Most Important Features
Kinsta gives its users a 99.9 percent guarantee of uptime. If this fails, then you’ll get a discount on your bill, which is pretty impressive.
When this uptime guarantee was tested by Winning WP, it was found that Kinsta maintained a 100-percent uptime over the period of seven days.
Kinsta offers Google Cloud server hosting which is a game-changer when it comes to web host infrastructure.
This is important because it means that instead of hosting websites via a single server in a data center, the cloud can host virtual server space that makes use of a network of servers.
That sounds great, but what does it really mean for you?
Using Kinsta enables you to have greater speed, scalability, and reliability on your website. Kinsta makes use of Google’s private fibre network that’s one of the largest and can hit speeds of up to 10,000TB per second.
Whether you’re inexperienced when it comes to WordPress hosting or you’re an advanced user, you don’t want the hassle of a difficult setting up process.
Kinsta offers a quick and easy setup that takes mere minutes. After you’ve set up your account, you’ll receive emails from the support staff to ask if you have questions and also to help you with the next steps of connecting your website to Kinsta.
Range of Backups
Kinsta offers three types of backups to benefit its users. These are:
- Daily backups that are completely automatic and involve WordPress as well as system backups
- Manual backups, of which you can complete a total of five. You can also make one downloadable backup every week.
- Event backups, which are tied to certain events. For example, if you’ve staged your WordPress site and then you want to make it go live, you’ll want to have your site backed up so that you have a copy of it should something go wrong during the process.
If you’re going to make use of a WordPress hosting site, you want to be able to reach out to expert staff when you have queries or problems. Kinsta provides its users with round-the-clock customer service.
They have a live chat feature to make getting in touch convenient. While they don’t offer phone support, there’s a good reason for this – their messaging system accommodates the sharing of videos, screenshots, links, and code snippets to make it easier for you to express your queries and get quick and valuable help for any issues you’re experiencing.
Security is an important feature that you need to consider when making use of a website host. Kinsta offers many features that will boost the security of your site, such as when it comes to DDoS attacks.
What are DDoS attacks?
DDoS stands for Distributed Denial Of Service attack, and it refers to when the criminal wants to make your device or network resource unavailable to you by either temporarily or indefinitely causing disruptions to the service or network with a rush of internet traffic.
To combat these attacks, Kinsta has some important measures in place. These include:
- Ensuring that all hosted sites are stored behind the Google Cloud Platform Firewall. This means that the site container where your WP site is located runs on a virtual machine that’s just one in several data centers. This is also behind a load balancer, as the Kinsta website explains, which is secured behind the firewall, so this makes it more difficult for attacks to get to your website.
- Using GeoIP blocking. If a DDoS attack has struck, this feature will detect it and let you know about it so that you can use the GeoIP blocking feature to completely block the geographical region from where the attack originated to protect your site.
How quickly will Kinsta load pages?
In a test that was conducted by award-winning SEO blog author Matthew Woodward and made use of GT Metrix, Kinsta had a page load time of 1.60 seconds. This is quite good, especially if you consider that if your website can load in 2.9 seconds, it’s faster than half of the sites on the internet, while a website that loads in 1.7 seconds is faster than around 75 percent of the internet, as Semrush reports.
Matthew Woodward also conducted another speed test, this time by putting a load of 500 simultaneous visitors on various web hosts to see how they would manage. Kinsta came in fourth place, with an average response time of 24milliseconds.
Generally, Kinsta is focused on providing users with high speeds – that’s one of their biggest selling points. This is as a result of their use of the latest hosting software, such as NGINX, LXD containers, and MariaDB. Some of the company’s case studies have found that Kinsta clients have been able to boost their website speeds by up to 200 percent and their load times by up to 80 percent, which is pretty impressive.
The dashboard that your web host uses should be easy to use and give you quick access to a range of features. Kinsta makes use of a custom dashboard that’s user-friendly because you can quickly gain access to various features, such as your sites, DNS settings, and analytics.
The dashboard pays attention to your regular or daily tasks as they relate to the hosting platform. The dashboard also has a simple and appealing layout that doesn’t feel overwhelming to navigate, which makes it great for beginners.
As a nice bonus, you can also access your control panel directly from your phone, so it’s easy to make changes to your site or check up on it when you’re on the go.
While Kinsta offers websites of all sizes good amounts of hosting space, there are other free services that make it stand out in the crowd. The best free services include the following:
Uptime monitoring. If you sign up with Kinsta, your website will be monitored every minute so that you can be reassured that it’s properly up and running.
- Free backups. You get daily backups for free and these backups have two weeks of backup retention.
- Free migration of the website. You can have your website moved to Kinsta without having to pay anything, which makes it much easier and convenient to get started.
- Free CDN and SSL. You get free Content Delivery Network (CDN) that ensures faster performance and prevents website crashes, and free SSL from Let’s Encrypt – and these are offered in every plan.
This is another fantastic feature that’s available to every plan. Basically, Kinsta offers you access to a staging site. This gives you the chance to test a variety of things, such as code edits, customizations, and plugins, on your website before they go live.
What About The Cons?
No web host is perfect, and although Kinsta does come pretty close to giving its users a flawless experience, it does have a few drawbacks. These include the following:
- Its high price. Although Kinsta is competitively priced, it’s still a bit expensive. There are a range of plans available and they start out at $30 per month which can be costly for individuals and small business owners.
- It doesn’t offer a free trial. You can’t make use of a free trial with Kinsta, although they do offer a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied.
- Its lack of email functions. Kinsta doesn’t offer its users an email service. While this lack is also seen in other web hosts, it’s still disappointing, especially for the cost.
- Its banned plugins. There are quite a few banned plugins that Kinsta makes mention of, and these are banned because of the risk they pose to your website. If you really want to use some popular plugins, such as Snapshot, WP-Optimize, or P3 Profiler, to mention just a few that are on their banned plugin list, you won’t be able to.
Is Kinsta Right For You?
When you consider the type of web hosting you should use for your WordPress site, it’s not always easy to know which one is right for you.
Sure, you’ve looked through their exceptional features and benefits, but it helps to think in practical terms to find out if the web host will give you what you need for your specific website and company. So, with that in mind, let’s look at some situations in which using Kinsta will be the right choice.
- Your site is increasing in popularity. If you’re experiencing growth with your site, you’ll benefit from making use of Kinsta’s features, such as their guaranteed uptime. There’s no doubt about how downtime can affect your business. It can make your potential customers see you as less reliable and professional, therefore reducing your profits, so you want to be sure that your website is backed by a professional and effective web host.
- You own a direct online business. An example of this is an e-commerce store. By partnering with Kinsta, you’ll be able to ensure that visitors to your site and potential customers will experience excellent performance without any hitches and lags.
- Your site is prone to sudden traffic increases. You want to be sure that your website will be able to handle the load put on it, such as with sudden spikes in website traffic. You don’t want this to get in the way of you making lots of sales. You also don’t want to be restricted by your web host, so that’s why Kinsta will always contact you if a problem is discovered. In addition, it will only limit your site by PHP workers, which determine the amount of simultaneous requests that your website can deal with.
In hosting plans, what does “WordPress Install” mean?
When reviewing web hosting plans, you’ve probably seen that it sometimes says “WordPress install”, but what does one WordPress install mean? One install is one WordPress site with all its files and database.
Is it worth it to use managed WordPress hosting?
You want your site to be secure, perform well, and be maintained on a regular basis, so a managed WP host can certainly help you with these and more services. It’s especially beneficial if you don’t have time to dedicate to your website.
Kinsta is one of the best managed WP hosting sites available. By using this web hosting option, you won’t have to worry about your site having downtime or experiencing issues with speeds, which will boost the overall performance of your site.
In this Kinsta review, we’ve outlined everything you need to know about Kinsta, including its main features as well as factors to consider before you sign up.
While there are a few potential drawbacks to consider, Kinsta offers a highly-rated hosting option that does come at a bit of a price but, as they say, you pay for quality!